[Guide][1.24+] Create Alpha Channel Colour Metallic Paintjob

Chat and find Guides in here for both ETS2 and ATS..
Eagle_Eye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Eagle_Eye » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Introduction

Please read the above post, down until the guide starts, all info there is relevant to this part.

The above method will work for the skins with dark colours.

If you have light colours, you may find the Alpha will be in shades of grey, this is a nice effect, but probably not what you where looking for.

Here is my version of creating an Alpha Channel for colour masking.

I'm assuming you built your skin on a transparent background. Otherwise you may run into trouble later.

The thing about metallic is, even though you have variable colours, all the set colours will be modified by the game to have a metallic sheen.

So, the result picture below, I replaced the Black only with a metallic, but the white and blue also look metallic in game.

Result of my mask

Before you start

Go to the folder where you skin is, and make a backup copy, you might need it if you screw up like I did while taking the pictures for this guide.

Building your Alpha Channel

01 Open your skin in photoshop.

First, go around your skin and turn off any layers that are not visible, like any templates etc.

Make any area you want to be a variable colour into black.

In my case, I'm going to set the black, to a metallic black when I create the skin, which, from the picture above, you can see I already have.

I managed to do mine and leave a path to all the black sections, so, if I select the black areas, they all select at once.

Now, the process involves destroying a layer, so, we are going to merge the visible layers, and make a copy.

Once your happy that your skin is ready to go, and you only have the layers you want showing, go to the next step.

02 From the Layer pull down menu, select "Merge Visible"

This will put everything on the one layer, so, if you had 8 layers showing, you now only have one layer, plus any that are turned off.

03 The merged layer should be selected, if not, select it from the Layers. Right click on the layer and select "Duplicate Layer"

04 Don't bother with a name, this layer we are going to destroy to create the Alpha Channel. Press OK

05 My new layer is Layer 10 copy, turn off the original. In my case, Layer 10. Make sure your copy is the only layer that is turned on. Select it from the Layers on the right.

06 From the Tool Bar on the left, select the Magic Wand tool.

07 Click on the any part of the black area you created. If not all the Black areas select, then with the selection you have, still selected, hold down the shift key and select any black areas that need to be masked.

08 From the select Menu, select "Inverse". All the areas you want to mask should now be selected.

09 Either press the "Delete " Key or from the Edit Menu, select "Clear"

10 You should have an image something like below. All the coloured areas should now be removed. Select the channel from next to the layer selection.

11 Turn off all the channels except the Blue

12 Ensuring that only the Blue Channel is selected, right click and select "Duplicate Channel"

13 You will get this pop up.

14 Rename channel to Alpha. and click OK.

15 You will now have a 5th channel named Alpha. Make sure its turned off.

From the Select menu, Click on Deselect.

16 Go back to the layers, and you will see the destroyed layer.

17 Turn off or delete the destroyed layer. Select the good layer and turn it back on.

18 From the File Menu, select save and save.

19 From the File Menu, select Save As.

20 Select the file format DDS, and enter a name if one is not pre-filled.

21 Select 8.8.8.8 ARGb 32 bpp unsigned or DTX5 as in the previous Guide. Click Save.

Your all done. You DDS file is now ready for use with ETS2 Studio.

Regards
EE